19th Century French Marquetry Dresser
Before Restoration: Direct Water Damage
1. Direct water damage nearly destroyed this piece.
2. Many pieces of the marqueterie were missing and they were replicated using several species of exotic wood.
3. The remaining marqueterie pieces to the floral pattern were stabilized with animal hide glue, as was the other veneer.
4. The loose joints were cleaned and re-glued.
5. Once it was structurally and aesthetically restored, a French polish or hand rubbed finish was applied.